A double shell is a characteristic element of the new church. Both walls are constructed to the same pattern: prefabricated concrete pieces fitted to a steel framework. The honeycomb-like tracery is combined with stained glass. Between the inner and outer walls is a 2.15 m cavity in which lamps are installed, emitting their light to the inside and the outside when darkness falls. This construction was chosen to keep out traffic noise. The new tower is similarly constructed, but with a single wall. The walls of the church and the new tower contain altogether 21.334 panes of stained glass, designed by the French artist Gabriel Loire of Chartres.
Maximum seating capacity is over 1000 when the curtains are open. The church is 35m wide with a floor area of about 1,000 square metres. The height of the church is 22m.
The floor of the church is composed of round, partly glazed and unglazed ceramic slabs of different sizes and colours.
The Baptismal Font
The baptismal font is made of aluminium and is filled with pebbles of Carrara marble. It was created by the Becker Co. at Sinn.
The Organ was built at the Schuke workshop in Berlin-Lichterfelde. It is a mechanical organ with four manuals and one pedal keyboard and an electric stop. 63 stops serve about 5,100 pipes (among them 170 Spanish trumpets).
The statue of Christ
Above the altar is suspended the figure of Christ. This sculpture, donated by Bishop Dr. Dibelius and created by the Munich artist Karl Hemmeter, is worked in tombac, a special kind of brass with a high copper content. Height: 4.60 m; weight: 300 kg.
The statue shows the resurrected Christ, in the form of a cross with His hands lifted in blessing.
The Martyrs´ Memorial
A crucifix from Spain commemorates the Protestant martyrs under the Nazi regime, donated by Bishop Dr. Otto Dibelius on the 20th anniversary of the 20th June 1944 revolt.
The Stalingrad Madonna
The Stalingrad (Volgograd) Madonna, drawn in 1942 by Kurt Reuber, reminds us of the war with its suffering and the death of hundreds of thousands of soldiers on both sides. Copies can be seen in a chapel of Coventry Cathedral and in the Russian Orthodox church in Volgograd.